Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Legacy

A lot can happen in a week and a half... especially when two people are at either end of the Mississippi River. Here are just a few photos to represent the reason I went to Minnesota.


This is my Grandpa, Robert Dean Smith.


This is his boat storage.


These are his woods.


This is his son, my father, in his woods.


And this is the procession to his funeral.

Despite all of the sadness, I can honestly say that I came back from Minnesota a stronger woman. There is a legacy that we leave for those walking behind us on the path of life. My grandfather left a strong legacy of loyalty and I cannot do more for him than step into my place, into his footsteps, and continue what he started. As my dad described it, he used a metaphor of a ladder in hopes that we will take from where was left off and only continue improving what we were given to work with. I hope I can live up to their expectations.

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Your Grandfather left to you so many great life lessons. May we all do as well in influencing for good.

Lacey said...

You already have in so many ways! I'm so grateful to be a part of your family:)

Rachel said...

Beautiful perspective and insights!