Friday, July 6, 2007

Week 5: Beaverheads, 4th, and fun.

This week was pretty short. We were only in the field Monday and Tuesday. I had the rest of the week off. I hiked around my area to some critical areas on Monday. Tuesday, I spent with Drew, another student, and we went over some faulting that runs through both our areas.

Kirk's family arrived up here Tuesday afternoon. We went to lunch Wednesday. It was good to see them. I spent the rest of the day along the Snake River in Idaho Falls to secure a spot for the fireworks that night. I hung out with some friends, but mostly friends of Drew. Mitt Romney was there, but I wasn't sure where he was, so I didn't go see him. I sat in the shade and played Risk and read the Illiad. The firework show was impressive as it always is here in Idaho Falls. They supposedly have the 5th ranked firework show west of the Mississippi.

Thursday and Friday involved straitening and cleaning. I picked up some boxes behind Kmart and have been packing some stuff up, mostly books and notebooks. I'll be home for about 7 weeks from July 21st to early September. I'm also moving to another apartment with a few friends.

The new place doesn't have the mold problems this place has. The bathroom here had to be completely ripped out and redone. The rest of the apartment will be gutted and fixed during the 7 week break, so I can't keep anything here. Lyle Fort and his wife, Cari, have a basement that they have offered to store my stuff for however long I need to store it. Chairith made sure I knew that her family had space available, but I think this should be fine, thanks.

Tomorrow will involve making my map on the computer on campus. I need to correlate my data with another student, Dave. He has been out of town, preventing me from getting it done already. I'm also working with Drew so we can finish our maps. We have one more week in the Beaverheads to double check and solve problems with our maps. We've found some major faults that haven't been mapped before. One of them will help solve a big puzzle with some of the major mountain building events here in North America.

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Sounds like a really busy, but fun, week. We are really looking forward for your visit. Good luch finishing everything up.

Love------MOM B

Dewi said...

Glad you had a great 4th of July with Kirk & Charith. Sounds like a great job you have Evan. Enjoying all of these beauties during summertime with your friends? What more can you ask?

chchoo said...

Hey. How's the Iliad? You must be smart if you're reading it and it's not an assignment for school. I started the Odyssey once but didn't get very far.