Friday, October 5, 2007

Friday, October 5th, 2007

I've been busy the last few weeks. I went to Laramie, Wyoming to the AAPG Rocky Mountain Rendezvou where students mingle with companies. I had four formal interviews and 5 informal interviews. There are a few companies that I'm interested in. I'm holding out until I get a response from some of the larger companies. One company I am hoping to work for is El Paso. They are a mid-sized company that would expose me to the many aspects of oil and gas exploration and production. I have a few offers already from two companies who provide great pay and exposure, but they are very low level jobs with small exposure to whats out there.

This past week has been one of long days. I've spent 41 hours on campus the past three days. A former student did a senior thesis that he never finished his poster for and he is too busy to work on. I've been asked to work on his poster, which will be presented at the AAPG annual meeting in Snowbird, UT. I was offered free travel, hotel, and food if I wanted to go down to it and present the poster myself, but that will be on a Tuesday, the worst day for me to miss any class. My professor will present it on my behalf. Since I am the one putting everything together, I am the primary author. This will be something good for my resume. Undergraduates usually do not present posters, especially in a meeting this big. I have another long day ahead of me Saturday to finish the poster, finish some online homework for my excel class, and study for calculus.

My band, Madeline Walks, auditioned for Guitars Unplugged again here at BYU-Idaho. We are the first act on Friday night. We usually play one of our own songs at Guitars Unplugged, but we decided to cover "Sadie Hawkins Dance" by the band Reliant K. It is a fun song.

5 comments:

chchoo said...

Sweet! It sounds like you have lots of good stuff going on. Next Friday you're rocking out? Tell us where, when...

Shirley said...

Lots of wonderful things happening to my talented son. Good luck and don't burn out on me.
Our best wishes and hopes for some really good offers for internships.
Love-------MOM

donna said...

Wow you are staying busy!!!
Have fun rocking on Friday :)

Dewi said...

Nice Evan! So many great things are happening. Glad to hear hard work paid off.

Shirley said...

Catch us up on what more is happening. We love you so much.
Love-MOM B