Saturday, October 27, 2007

Job offer

I interviewed with a few oil companies when I was at Laramie a month ago. I've been waiting ever since for a phone call letting me know if I got a job or not. These companies are now calling people to let them know. I have two friends that have received offers. I'm expecting a phone call any day now.

While I was at school Friday, one of my professors called me into his office. I didn't know what he wanted. He is the head of the Geology department here at BYU-Idaho. He asked me when I was graduating and what my plans are. We talked about how I am waiting to here if I got an internship. He asked me when I was planning on going to graduate school.

We discussed a few more things and then he asked me something I didn't expect. He asked me if I was interersted in teaching. He told me that the school needs someone to teach some introdutionary geology lectures and labs Summer 2008, Fall 2008, and Winter 2009.

I've been a lab assistant and a teacher's assistant for the past two years and have really enjoyed it. I've wanted to eventually teach geology at a small college or university, so I expressed to my professor my interest in the job. He told me that it will be a great experience, a powerful resume item, and great pay. I told this to Lyle Fort, and he said that he'll try to take one of the courses I'll teach.

6 comments:

Shirley said...

We are so proud of your hard work ethic. It pays off. So good to hear your voice. How did this weekend go?
Love--MOM

Dewi said...

Very cool!!! You can teach even without the graduate degree?! I'd say take it....definitely. Especially if you want to end up teaching eventually. Nice Evan!

Rachel said...

Congratulations! That's an amazing opportunity! TAKE IT!

chchoo said...

Wow! This is great! Does this mean I have to call you "Professor Evan" now?

Evan said...

I would be adjunct faculty, so I don't need a PhD or Masters. Everything has been approved verbally by administration, but the paperwork has to follow.

Shirley said...

What did you dress up as on Halloween? Hope you are doing well. We love you!
MOM and DAD